2014 Crèche Festival
5th Annual Crèche Festival
The Cathedral of Christ the Light
2121 Harrison Street
Oakland, California 94612
Friday, December 12 – Sunday, December 14, 2014
Please join us for the Fifth Annual Crèche Festival as The Cathedral of Christ the Light celebrates the holiday season with a unique, three-day event exulting the family tradition of the nativity scene. Local floral designers and artists will showcase their unique crèche displays in each of the meditation chapels in the Cathedral.
As light emanates from skylights above into the uniquely colored Venetian-plastered interiors, the crèche displays create the opportunity for visitors to reflect upon the spiritual meaning of the season from the moment they enter through the Great Cathedral Doors.
One highlight of the event will be the , which prominently features crèches created by parishes from the Diocese of Oakland and are displayed in the Cathedral Event Center. Last year more than 60 parish crèches were displayed. Don't missing seeing your parish crèche at this year's festival.
We look forward to seeing you throughout the weekend of activities:
Friday, December 12
- A donor reception will take place this evening and the first viewing of the crèches by the public will begin at 7:30 pm followed by the Grammy award-winning ensemble, Chanticleer, for their annual Christmas concert at 8:00 pm. Not to be missed!
Saturday, December 13
- Back by popular demand! Senior tour, lecture & luncheon. Pre-registration and payment in advance required.
- Spend the afternoon learning how to make your own crèche. A wonderful family activity for children! Free Admission. Pre-registration required.
- Give yourself the perfect Christmas experience with the Catholic High School Choirs across the Diocese of Oakland who will come together to sing in concert and share their musical talents. An ideal family event at 8:00 pm. Free Admission. Pre-registration required.
Sunday, December 14
- The festival concludes with an informative guest lecture on the origins of the crèche, its family traditions and ethnic meanings and Advent Lessons & Carols. Come and join Bishop Michael C. Barber, S.J. and the Cathedral Choir in a Service of Lessons & Carols with readings from Scripture and carols for choir and congregation, all of which culminates this three-day festival. Free Admission. Pre-Registration required for both events.
The Cathedral Shop will be open throughout the weekend, just in time for your holiday shopping needs. The shop features an array of crèches, books and resources for purchase, including an exhibition of Fair Trade crèches from around the world.
Group Tours of the Cathedral are available during the festival, lead by a Cathedral docent. It would be a perfect holiday outing for senior groups, families and children of all ages. See Tours on the homepage of The Cathedral of Christ the Light website to make a reservation.
Click here to register for Starlight Festival.
To reserve a seat at the following events: